Approx. 375 calories per serving
- 2 carrots
- 3 ribs celery
- 1 yellow onion
- 5 garlic cloves
- 10 cremini mushrooms
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 8oz tempeh
- 1- 6oz can tomato paste (unsalted)
- 1- 14oz can crushed tomatoes (unsalted)
- 1 cup red wine
- 16 fresh sprigs thyme (tied with cooking twine)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1½ cups water
- 1¼ teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2¾ teaspoons coarse sea salt
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 4-6 zucchinis
- Puree carrots, celery, onion, garlic, and mushrooms in a food processor.
- Heat olive oil in a shallow pot/skillet.
- Add pureed vegetables to skillet and cook until moisture has evaporated and vegetables begin to brown.
- Blend tempeh in a food processor until coarsely ground.
- Add tempeh to skillet and cook for 3 minutes or until slightly browned.
- Add tomato paste and crushed tomatoes. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add red wine and cook until red wine has almost evaporated.
- Add thyme, bay leaves, oregano, water, pepper, and salt. Bring to a boil, lower heat to a simmer, and simmer for 2 hours.
- Add nutritional yeast and apple cider vinegar 10 minutes before finishing. Remove thyme and bay leaves.
- Serve over zucchini pasta*.
*Zucchini pasta can be made fresh or frozen at your local supermarket like Whole Foods. Or you can make your own byusing a vegetable spiralizer. Ifyou do not have a vegetable spiralizeryou can use avegetable peelerand peel the zucchini into longwide noodles.