Serves: 4-6 bowlsTime: 30 minutes
2 cups broccoli
2 cups broccoli + carrot (or any veggie combination) slaw (bought pre-made)
1 1/2 cups shredded chicken breast
1 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce + more for topping
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp chili powder
1 cup white quinoa
Crushed cashews (optional)
Sliced avocado (optional)
1. Add 1 cup quinoa to a large pot with 2 cups water. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes until all water is absorbed into quinoa. Set aside.
2. Chop 2 cups of broccoli florets into bite sized pieces. Place into a large bowl. Add a small amount of water to the bottom of the bowl. Place in microwave with a large plate covering the top of the bowl. Microwave for 1-2 minutes to soften/steam broccoli. Drain water and set aside.
3. Add 1 tbsp sesame oil or use cooking oil spray to coat a large pan. Let oil warm up for 30 seconds. Place softened broccoli and 2 cups of slaw in a large pan. Add in chili powder and garlic powder. Let veggies cook for around 5 minutes, until raw slaw is softened.
4. Add shredded chicken (see recipe below for my favorite way to cook) to pan. Add soy sauce. Let everything cook for several minutes longer, then remove from stove and transfer to a large bowl.
5. Take 1 cup of the cooked quinoa and combine in large bowl with veggie/chicken mixture. Add more soy sauce for flavor if desired.
6. Top with crushed cashews (or nut of choice) for some crunch, drizzle sriracha for spice, or slice fresh avocado for creamy coolness.
7. Can be served, hot, warm, or cold. Refrigerate for a 1-2 weeks.
Easy shredded chicken
Take 1-2 lbs. chicken breast and add to a crock pot with a small amount of water. Cook the chicken on high for 4-6 hours. Remove from crock pot and use a fork to shred chicken.